Practice your English. Help and advice.

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Dear friends :-D

Can I get any example of the right use of "friends of mine"?

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

AdlerTS ha scritto:Can I get any example of the right use of "friends of mine"?
The phrase simply means miei amici, and is practically synonymous with my friends. It can be used in innumerable instances, for example:

You are all, I hope, friends of mine.

Ron, Frank, and Tom are friends of mine.

Some friends of mine came to dinner.

... and so on, of mine simply means belonging to or associated with me, and can be applied to almost anything.

Peter

La posibilità sempre ghe xe.
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Well

so Ron, Frank, and Tom are friends of mine is the same as Ron, Frank, and Tom are my friends ? and Some friends of mine came to dinner is good as Some of my friends came to dinner ?
:roll:

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Yes, I shouldn't worry too much. Yours, mine, etc, are grammatically known as absolute possessives. The form of mine is a double possessive and established idiom.

I met a friend of yours means ho incontrato uno dei tuoi amici or ... un amico tuo but I met your friend means ho incontrato il tuo amico.

Peter

refolo

practice your English help and advice

Messaggio da refolo »

Dear SIR, Peter G.

My humble apologize, I beg your pardon, and I will stand up when you
enter the classroom.

I Maria A.Z. aka Refolo I have called Peter-Ron-Tom (what's happen to him???) my dear friends of mine, not offences.

I live in a Suburb, which 70% are Scottish-Irish- and Sorry POMS!( we are allowed to call them that.......CRICKET ARE ALIVE in this country you know?) they accent are out of this sky, but we do understand each other with history, War, jokes, music, and food.......I had a BBQ last Sunday...marvellous.

We can be in a class pretending, learning, and make a funny jokes, In Down Under we call our friends MATES, like yours under the Army.

""G'DAY"" is everyday welcome. Of course I do not call people like that,
My upbringing was a lot different from today. SIR-MADAM- and other bull... nowadays, no one are polite as far as English version of your language concerned, there is something to desire.

Called Americanises? Here we are worst. Italians? with computers are
Lazzy, every words are shorted by the minute. - + % # ^
Betta gives me the answer, when she said"WHAT ABOUT MY DEAR FRIEND?"

I think this is what I meant, we do write Italian as we speak, your is back to front. Not offences, but I described the logic.
I appreciated every help from you, I feel dorry that I didn't know you before, so you could have been my Editor.

Keep teaching us, we do want the best out of the bad.

ciao Maria aka Refolo

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

My Dear Madam :-)

I wouldn't dream of allowing you to stand up for me, pray let's both be seated. :-D

As a matter of fact, Maria, I have learnt quite a lot from you. Recently, Ron asked me to translate an article you had written in Triestin about funeral practices in Trieste. There is much in that article that I didn't know, here it is:
In Triestin dialect, an account of famous funerals in Trieste

FUNERAL CEREMONIES

The famous funerals ... yes! Alas, one was born and died at home, and sad though it may be, this too is all part of Trieste's history.

Only rarely was one born in hospital or died there, perhaps due to less money, less doctors, less bother for the government, but always with the support of the parish for the funeral rites ... then a quick dash on the hearse to the cemetery.

Until the mid 1800s, as I was always given to understand by my elders, coffins were carried on shoulders and the men who did that were called 'pizzigamorti' [lit 'bodypinchers'] .. even the name evokes a shiver, sending a drop of sweat down one's back...

But, alas, that's life .. or, rather, death! If someone breathed his last, it was the custom and legal requirement that a member of the deceased's family should go to church and report the matter, and to the verger, who's duty it was to toll the bell:

4 times for a woman

5 for a convict

6 for a common man

7 for a person in holy orders, such as a priest, etc.

thus people died at home and, instead of collapsing with floods of tears, it all ended in merriment. In the evening all gathered at the defunct's house and with the excuse of offering condolences [and now a fine play on words with 'scampava un bicierin', 'scampava' alludes to 'surviving' and 'to go for an outing', 'bicierin' (Italian 'bicchierino') is a 'little glass of something', but implying several, like the Scot's 'Och, he's fond of a wee dram'], which has become famous the world over. During the night of the wake, they all stuffed themselves like pigs, except of course for the widow, who's duty it was to serve them and not touch a thing herself.

If a child dies things were different, the women cried and lamented that an angel had gone to heaven, but all ate pancakes with white wine.

On seeing a funeral from a distance, all could tell, by tradition, whether the deceased was a man or a woman ...

If a woman, all the women were directly behind the coffin.
If a man, on the contrary, all the women came last.

At the cemetery, after the grave was filled (..with tears), all took part in the burial rites and, on finding themselves outside the cemetery, all would dash, perhaps with the excuse that it was cold (if in winter) to the nearest pub .. singing

'Whoever dies leaves the world
and the living press on ...'

Around 1875 the first funeral parlour was opened in Trieste named Zimolo, all first class and with plumed horses. After this all the newspapers reported outstanding funerals, like that of Count Revoltella, with his faithful Chinese servant, but before this there was:

The funeral procession of Maximillian of Austria whose body arrived on the battleship Novara. Impressive too was the funeral of the performing acrobat H. Thoure, the famous human-fly, who was 'sfracelà' [no equivalent in English, it means 'smashed to pieces', 'broke every bone in his body', 'completely shattered] at the famous Mauronier theatre.

Then there were the famous horses of Felice Venezian which drew the hearse carrying the body of the Infanta of Spain, Maria Theresa of Bourbon-Braganza, from the house in Via Lazzaretto to the church of San Giusto.

But the most sumptuous funeral procession was that of the Hereditary Prince and of his wife, assassinated at Sarajevo, where I was told they were taken from the ship Virus-Unitis and placed on their special hearses drawn by six horses, the Prince's decorated in gold, and that of the Princess in silver. (1914)

Maria Zanier (lacangrueta)
The original is here :arrow: http://www.tuttotrieste.net/varie/maria/zimolo.htm

Peter

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

Lovely, Peter. A very fine translation!!

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Viribus unitis, not virus unitis, please :P

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

LOL Yes, of course. A slip of the fingers. Some virus! :-D

Whilst I'm at it, the line If a child dies things were different sholud read If a child died things were different

Peter

refolo

practice English

Messaggio da refolo »

Watch! dear Peter....

you not allowed to make any mistake, even, if, for some she was a VIRUS!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maria aka Refolo

refolo

practice English

Messaggio da refolo »

DEAR ENGLISH TEACHER? :? :? :?

where are you?????????????

Maria aka refolo

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Maria :-D

Er .... do you mean me :?:

Which seems an opportune moment :idea: to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

Peter

nanaia
ixolan
ixolan

for our favourite teacher!

Messaggio da nanaia »

Yes, Peter, you are the one :wink:
Merry Christmas and a Happy 2007 from the deep of my heart to you and Ron
Nanaia

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

I'm the one? I'm taking legal advice :roll:

Meanwhile, a very Merry Christmas to you all and a very Happy New Year. Keep smiling.

Peter

Nona Picia
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da Nona Picia »

Merry Christmas a tutti voi che parlate inglese! :36_15_1:

Ciao ciao
Trova un minuto per pensare, trova un minuto per pregare,
trova un minuto per ridere.
"MADRE TERESA"

"La Mama l’è talmen un tesor de valur che l’ha vorüda anche Noster Signur" .....
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Can I have a translation please? This is an English language forum.

Peter :-D

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Nona Picia

I am so sorry :oops:

I read your lovely message quickly and thought it was from Ron. The tease was meant fot him not you.

Peter

PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

fot = for

I'm going to have an Asprin and lie down in a darkened room.

Peter :oops:

Nona Picia
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da Nona Picia »

PeterG ha scritto:Nona Picia

I am so sorry :oops:

I read your lovely message quickly and thought it was from Ron. The tease was meant fot him not you.

Peter
Please! Nanaia mi ha chiarito tutto!
Ancora Merry Christmas! E senza aspirine!

Ciao ciao
Trova un minuto per pensare, trova un minuto per pregare,
trova un minuto per ridere.
"MADRE TERESA"

"La Mama l’è talmen un tesor de valur che l’ha vorüda anche Noster Signur" .....
PeterG
Vilegiante
Vilegiante

Messaggio da PeterG »

Best wishes to you, Nona Picia, and to your lovely interpreter Nanaia, for a very Happy Christmas.

Peter :-D

Torna a “English section”