Nora and Gene in Trieste

Regole del forum
Collegamenti al regolamento del forum in varie lingue ed alle norme sulla privacy in italiano.
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Nora and Gene in Trieste

Messaggio da gene odom »

I met Nora in 1948 in Trieste while off duty at one of the clubs near Vialle XX September. I was in town on a pass for the evening while she was with her Aunt and Uncle and friends celebrating a birthday party. I ask her to dance, she accepted and within a couple of months we were dating frequently. At the time we were both 19 years old.

We were married in January 1950 and celebrated our 59 anniversary this past January.
Allegati
NORA & GENE DATING.jpg

nonna ivana
Notabile
Notabile

Messaggio da nonna ivana »

A very beautiful image!
Thanks and welcome! :-D :-D :-D :-D

ivana

la curiosità è il colore della mente
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Welcome Gene!

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
[size=75][i]"Quando comincia una guerra, la prima vittima è la Verità.
Quando la guerra finisce, le bugie dei vinti sono smascherate,
quelle dei vincitori, diventano Storia."
(A. Petacco - La nostra guerra)[/size][/i]
AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

Dear Gene, many thanks for the picture. You are welcome Immagine

Have you learned a little "triestino" ?

(PS: just to let you know, the Mexico is actually a club for men with naked dancers.)

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

Since I am the new boy on the court, I will take a few minutes to explain who I am. I am a former U.S. Army soldier who was stationed in Trieste from 1947 to 1950. I am now retired after twenty plus years in the Army. I learned about your forum from Larry Southgate several months ago and just decided that I can make a contribution to the group.

BACKGROUND
I joined the Army in 1946, following basic training I transferred to the 88th Div in Tarviso. In January 1947, my unit transferred from Tarviso where we were training as ski troops (I think to keep us busy) to Caserma Opicina. It turned out to be a fortuitous event for me because I met my future bride in Trieste in 1948.

From the time I met Nora (Eleonora Picchetti) until today she has been my life long companion, bride, counsel and mother of our three children.

Our first fifteen years of marriage we spent in the Army and it turned out to be very beneficial for me because before I retired, I advanced to the rank of Lt Col with her alongside offering her advice and support. Following my retirement from the Army I served another fifteen years in the service of my country as a senior federal civil service employee. I retired for the second time in February 1986, with a combined total of 36 years of federal service.

CURRENT STATUS

We are now enjoying our retirement with three middle age children and four young men for grandchildren: one married, one getting married May 30, this year and two recent college graduates trying to adjust to being on their own .

Please excuse me, I hope this is not too lengthy. I believe in being forthright. I like to know who I am addressing.

No I do not speak Italian and that fact does not speak well for me and I am sorry to learn the addrsss where the Mexico Club was in the late forties is now a strip club. It was a rather nice night club in my time..
Allegati
090 - Nora and Gene Wedding Photo - Luthern Church in Trieste.jpg

AdlerTS
cavalier del forum
cavalier del forum

Messaggio da AdlerTS »

gene odom ha scritto:No I do not speak Italian and that fact does not speak well for me
That's the reason why we've got an English section Immagine

Mal no far, paura no gaver.
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Very glad to know you, Gene.
I'm a 60 years old lady. I have been a civil servant for 37 years, and now I'm retired too. I like to travel in real world.... and on the Internet too. :lol:
In our forum we generally speak our dialect or italian, but we have foreign sections as well. Maybe your wife could read other sections about our town, old words in our dialect, recipes and very many other things.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
Larry
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Larry »

:-D Welcome aboard Gene. Nice to see you and even nicer to see that beautiful young lady next to you in the Mexico Club. I recall that place very well. I went back there years after leaving Trieste and it had become a very sleazy place. To hear that is's now a strip club for gents does not surprise me. I notice that Serlillian has given you a very nice welcome too. 60 years of age? Just the right age for me!! I have a date with that fair lady on my visit to Trieste in June. Be just my luck to find she is still a married lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll see if she will let us take a photo together so we can post it here for you to have a look at. But oh, cor blimey, aint we all getting on in years????!!!!! Best wishes to Nora and look after yourselves.
Larry

Auld acquaintance should ne'er be forgot
For the sake of auld lang's syne
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

"I'll see if she will let us take a photo together so we can post it here for you to have a look at." Larry

23:20 EST
That would be great, Larry. I would like to see everyone's photo. Let me dig around in my files and maybe I can find some more old pictures. Most of mine are of the military variety. I do not think people want to see military parades and inspections even if the parade is in Trieste. I'll see what else I can find.

Here is a photo of Nora's brother, Silvio Picchetti. He is retired from a bank in NY city and now lives in Tarpon Springs, Florida. He had a very successful career with this bank and now lives comfortably in retirement and frequently takes cruises to the Caribbean. He plans to visit Trieste in September, of this year.
Gene
Allegati
078 - Silvio and Gene.jpg

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Welcome aboard

Messaggio da Ron »

Gene

Welcome aboard !

I've previously posted lots of boring stuff on this forum so all I'll say at this point is that I served in the British Forces from 1942 to 1947, was married in 1949 and, G-d willing will celebrate a Diamond Wedding Anniversary later this year.

A couple of Before & After photos posted below

:lol:

Best regards

Ron
Allegati
Nita & Ron 2007.jpg
Nita & Ron 1949.jpg

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Gene

Just in case (very sensibly) you can't be bothered to wade through my previous postings, this is how I looked back in late 1945.

The snap was taken on a mine sweeper in Trieste Harbour

Ron
Allegati
1945 Trieste Minesweeper.jpg

As a British soldier, I was stationed in the Trieste area from October 1945 until January 1947
serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

gene odom ha scritto:...Most of mine are of the military variety. I do not think people want to see military parades and inspections even if the parade is in Trieste.
I would like to see them, Gene. I was a little child then, and I don't remember anything about military parades.

By the way, I write also on a militaria forum. I think they would be interested to see allied uniforms and weapons.

You could ask why a woman writes on a militaria forum. Because I collect old postcards of Austrian Navy WWI and badges of Austrian soldiers WWI and I need some information about them.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

Ron and Others-
I appreciate all the information you wish to provide and when I become boring I would appreciate hearing from you. I notice the age span on this site is rather large. When was this site inaugurated. What is the purpose of the site? Where do most of you hail from? Is there a mission statement somewhere I can read?

Ron, your photos are excellent! You were married in Oct, 1949, Nora and I were married in January 1950. We are tracking pretty close together. I have one more photo to share when we were on our honeymoon in Cortina.
Allegati
Nora & Gene at Cortina on Honeymoom.jpg

gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

For Liliana and Others:
Here are a couple of military photos taken during my time in Trieste.
Gene
Allegati
1st Bn on Parade.jpg

gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

Sorry about that. I did say two photos. Here is the second one.
Allegati
Co B on Parade.jpg

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Gene

Many thanks for bringing a breath of fresh air to this forum.

I have some questions for you.........

1. This has got to do with the location of the YMCA in Vialle XX Septembre.

First of all go to one of my Blogs, namely:

http://rongoldsteinsarmyalbum.blogspot.com/

Then, on the right hand side you will see "Index of all articles"

Scroll down to the paragraph about the YMCA, read it and then answer this question. Where about in that lovely avenue was the YMCA ?

When I returned to Trieste a few years ago I couldn't find the building and no locals could help me.

Question No.2, did you share the same barracks as myself at Opicina ?

Some good people on this site tried to help me make a return visit there but the local Commandante didn't even reply to my mail.

Glad you like my pics and, purely for the record, I was married in July '49 and called up in Oct'42.

We will "talk" more, I am sure :)

Ron

Ron
ixolan
ixolan

Messaggio da Ron »

Gene

It's me again.......

One of the things I miss on this site is the ability to edit my comments when I discover an error.
On my previous posting I meant to say that when you find the "Index of all articles" you should scroll down to "Trieste, Oct'45 to Jan '47"

Ciao

Ron

macondo
Distinto
Distinto

Messaggio da macondo »

gene odom ha scritto:Ron and Others-
I appreciate all the information you wish to provide and when I become boring I would appreciate hearing from you. I notice the age span on this site is rather large. When was this site inaugurated. What is the purpose of the site? Where do most of you hail from? Is there a mission statement somewhere I can read?
Gene
The site was born 3 years ago as a place where people from Trieste meet and talk about their beloved city. The main section is in Italian language, but the Triestine dialect is widely used too. We have sections in other languages, as there are people who are interested on Trieste from other parts of the world. We do have not strict limits or rules about the content, apart the obvious ones.
See the last post of the topic below:

https://www.atrieste.eu/Forum3/viewtopic.php?t=57

serlilian
distinto
distinto

Messaggio da serlilian »

Ron ha scritto:
First of all go to one of my Blogs, namely:

http://rongoldsteinsarmyalbum.blogspot.com/
It seems to be very interesting. Later I'll read something more. Thank you, Ron.

[i]Liliana[/i]
- . - . -
gene odom
vilegiante
vilegiante

Messaggio da gene odom »

Ron, in all time in Trieste did I never visit the YMCA. I probably passed it many times, but I do not recall ever seeing it. I never had any friends hang out there. We showered, dressed (class A uniforms) and then went to town.

As for our barracks, we were in caserma Opicina, about one mile from the tram station, on the road to Proseco. In 1992, Nora, her brother Silvio and I visited Trieste and I tried to visit the caserma, which was occupied by the Italian army, I was denied entrance. I showed them my army identification card, expecting perhaps military courtesy,after all I am a retired officer from the US Army and the US and Italy are NATO allies, but the guard said no and refused even to show my ID card to the Officer of the Guard. That was the only sour note we experienced during our visit to Trieste.

Caserma Opicina where we were billeted was probably the same barracks where you stayed.

Gene

Says guys, let me know when I start hogging everything. It is refreshing to recall a few fond memories for interested people, but fond memories for me can be boring for others.
GO

Torna a “English section”